In January, President Joe Biden promised to provide state and local health officials for three weeks to see how many vaccine doses were en route.
The president said, “Until now, we had to guess how much vaccine we expected for the next week, and that’s what the referees had to do: How much will I get next week?” “This is unacceptable. Lives are at risk here.”
As of Wednesday, that promise had not been kept in the country’s largest province.
“I don’t have any expectations of what we’re getting [in the] Barbara Ferrer, the Los Angeles County public health director, said in a call to reporters. Not only that, Ferrer revealed on Wednesday that “we are late in getting our numbers for next week.”
A large number of California counties will see fewer Covid-19 restrictions
So, while President Biden promised last month that state and local officials would have a three-week window into their vaccine allocations to allow site planning and scheduling of appointments, a senior local official says she doesn’t even have a one-week window.
But California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Wednesday made clear how many doses would be received in the following week, bringing the state’s total to 1.3 million, up slightly from last week. Newsom did not indicate whether he had expectations beyond that, but the state does determine county allocations from the numbers the federal government gave it, so the sticking point appears to be in next week’s numbers at Newsom’s level. Beyond that, the missing forecast may be the federal government’s action – or not.
On Wednesday, the governor sought to “profoundly acknowledge the need to provide more certainty about the future. That is exactly what we are working on with the Biden administration.”
On March 1, Newsom allows the next phase of vaccinations to begin. In Los Angeles County, Ferrer estimated that would mean vaccinating an additional 1.8 million workers. To date, the province has provided about 1.5 million first doses and about 400,000 second doses. Given the delta between the two and the supply problems, adding another 1.8 million people to the eligibility list could create confusion as the county is likely to continue to prioritize the second doses before the first doses wear off.
The vaccine distribution and planning have plagued the American vaccine launch since its inception. Los Angeles had to shut down its largest vaccination site last weekend because by Wednesday, its doses had run out. For two consecutive weeks, the county introduced mostly second doses because the allocation numbers were not only wrong, but were far short of promise.
“This week we only received 16,000 new doses,” Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said last week after the huge site at Dodger Stadium closed. “This depends on the number of new doses we give each day,” he said. This is 90,000 lower than the previous week. This is unacceptable. ”The city is clearly not getting the three-week period Biden promised for the upcoming vaccine allocations. The rapid increase in vaccination sites is not helping.
“It’s a small part of the Hunger Games,” said Garcetti. “We’re doing kind of” all of the above. “I think part of this is that we went to a lot of places without the show matching that, and you saw some key places … like our sites and the huge sites in the county don’t have much supply.” .
When asked about health care providers who are “reluctant” to take shots to ensure they get a second available dose for every first dose administered Andy Slavate, the chief counselor for the Covid response team in Biden, said, “We want to be clear that we understand why health care providers have done.” That, but this need not and should not happen. ” That was February 1.
“We fully understand that this was a direct result of the unpredictability of many countries and service providers regarding the number of doses they would receive,” Slavit added. “This is one of the reasons that led us last week to announce that the federal government will provide a three-week window into the vaccines that will be shipped.”
But that window didn’t open, and she left Angelenos in awe.
Newsom’s campaign to increase the number of sites offering the vaccine hasn’t helped. While the governor’s efforts will ultimately lead to an extensive vaccination network and standardized appointment, he has in the short term added another layer of bureaucracy for residents to move around.
The county has an extensive network of vaccination sites. The city operates five others, including the giant Dodger Stadium site. Moreover, there is a network of more than 100 Rite Aid pharmacies and the recently announced mega-site in Cal State LA. Then there are mobile clinics that are sent to the lesser-served neighborhoods. In all, according to the county numbers, they number 391. Each of the above-mentioned entities has its own assignment system. Very few of them actually have the first doses offered.
This means that Angelenos not only have to crawl multiple websites and cross references to find the closest vaccination site, but they also have to determine which of these sites actually have available doses.
Newsom launched MyTurn.com as a one-stop shop for appointments, but as of Wednesday many of the sites mentioned above had not been registered.
He revealed on Wednesday that the country expects three million doses per week by March 1 and four million per week by April 30, which would flood the aforementioned network with the vaccine.
Ferrer, the Los Angeles Public Health Director, seemed optimistic.
“I think we will have a difficult month in March, but things will get better. I think it is safe to say that, except for some unexpected disasters, we will have more vaccinations in April,” she said on Wednesday.